Financial Planning is the long-term process of efficiently managing your finances so you can achieve your life’s goals and dreams. This process also includes negotiating financial hurdles that arise in the various stages of life. Financial Planning is a process, not a product.
Your current financial position is a key factor in your Financial Plan. It is essential to understand where you are today before you can begin your financial journey to where you would like to be. Your net-worth statement and income statement are essential financial planning tools. They help you:
- Check progress towards financial goals
- Plan for changes in assets or liabilities
- Estimate how well dependent survivors would be able to live on their current inheritance
- Estimate retirement income potential
- Chart financial progress over the years
A net-worth assessment should be performed at least annually, and whenever there is a major change in assets and/or liabilities.
Financial Plan Six-Step Process
Step 1 – Establish Goals
Step 2 – Gather Data
Step 3 – Analyze and Evaluate Your Financial Status
Step 4 – Develop a Plan
Step 5 – Implement the Plan
Step 6 – Monitor the Plan and make Necessary Adjustments